The receiving position is responsible for the safe, timely and accurate receipt of product and miscellaneous items ordered and placed in specified areas of the warehouse. Receiver must follow proper procedures for receiving all products entering the facility including verifying actual product against bill of lading, confirming product quality, and checking product temperatures as needed. Position is also responsible for maintaining cleanliness of receiving area including loading dock, trash areas and other areas of warehouse. Receiver will work in and out of cold environment and safely operate machinery including forklifts, electric pallet jacks, truck (for occasional pick-up). The receiver is responsible for unloading freight, checking packages and their contents to ensure they match Bill Of Lading. The Warehouse Receiver helps to facilitate the successful and accurate management of Second Harvest’s food inventory and assists with the coordination of inventory-related functions within the Operations Department. This position additionally is tasked with overseeing the receipting process for invoices, pallet tags, and Donations. The incumbent will uphold the organization’s mission to “Engage, Feed, and Educate.”
- Serves as the key receiver of incoming product
- Receive all shipments, check for damages and verify quantity.
- Complete receiving documents as each shipment is received.
- Working with the Warehouse Assistant Manager on housing the incoming product.
- Receiving and unloading of all food deliveries. Also assists in the inspection of all incoming food product, including carrier inspection.
- Strictly adheres to the maintenance of ‘first in, first out’ rotation of inventory.
- Complete receiving document(s) as each shipment is received
- Follow all SHBB & food safety rules & procedures
- Assists in trace/recall functions.
- Assist Inventory Coordinator with receiving, documents, weighing product , invoices, and bin slotting
- Verify that quantities on Purchase Order match invoice and bill of lading
- Print out bar code tags for incoming product.
- Performs Quality Control checks on outgoing orders.
- Rotate product in the warehouse to create space for future loads.
- Notify Inventory Coordinator of any quality or quantity issues/comments related to shipment.
- Assist in maintaining an organized warehouse that maximizes space and efficiency while promoting a sanitary and safe work environment
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships cooperatively and effectively with staff members in a team environment.
- Place shipment in designated cooler, freezer or warehouse location
- Deals tactfully and respectfully with volunteers, agencies, community organizations, co-workers, donors, and potential donors.
- Communicates effectively and respectfully with people from different racial, ethnic and cultural groups, and from different backgrounds and lifestyles; demonstrates a knowledge of and sensitivity to their needs.
- May be required to travel on occasion for training purposes and conferences.
- All other duties as assigned; the above responsibilities are intended to describe the general nature and levels of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties.
- Other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications (knowledge, skills, abilities, competencies)
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field is preferred.
- Experience working with inventory control systems.
- Computer proficiency in Office 365, including Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Prior experience with the Primarius inventory management system is preferred but not required. The capability to learn and use various software programs dealing with databases and inventory systems is essential.
- The ability to communicate verbally and in writing in a clear, professional, and timely manner with those both inside and outside of the organization.
- Must be self-motivated and work well with people in a team environment, and have the ability to manage time and multiple projects.
Salary for this position is $32,000-$36,000 annually commensurate upon experience. Second Harvest also provides a generous benefits package inclusive of paid health, dental and life insurance for the employee. Employees may elect to participate in the Simple IRA retirement program; SHBB will match up to 3% of your salary. SHBB recognizes 11 paid holidays each year, and employees receive a generous PTO allotment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop; kneel, crouch, and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust and focus.
The work environment described here is representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position may include:
- EXPOSURE TO WEATHER – Exposure to hot, cold, wet, humid, or windy conditions caused by the weather.
- EXTREME COLD – Exposure to non-weather-related cold temperatures.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Interested candidates may submit their resume and cover letter to Hr@fightinghunger.org by Close of Business Friday, August 27, 2021.